Monday, September 13, 2010

why do college freshmen get to have all the fun?

This week in SLO is "WOW Week": Week of Welcome for incoming freshmen at Cal Poly. Because of the time of year being Back to School, stores are focusing their attention to students, whether it be school supplies, back to school outfits, or dorm decorations. What I want to know is: Why do these new students get to have all the fun?!!

Let's be honest: Who doesn't appreciate some new "school" supplies... I personally love them. Mechanical pencils, notebooks with fun designs on them, sharpies in every color! A couple of months ago I was in need of some organization for work and personal notes. I wanted something portable, fun, and colorful. Then I remembered Russell & Hazel, who's brightly colored mini binders and inserts would perfectly fit the bill! I don't know how I kept organized without it... It is small, brightly colored, and very functional with tabs for various projects, a calendar, lined paper (in blue!), and a fun wide rubber band to keep it all together!

Back to school shopping always seemed like the best way to start changing gear from summer freedom to being in school 5 days a week. Well I decided to hop on the band wagon and pick up a pair of shoes that seem to be topping many back to school shopping lists. TOMS shoes are not the most attractive shoes, I will admit that. But their mission is amazing (for every pair of TOMS shoes purchased, a pair of shoes is donated to a child in need. (Read more here) And, having had my TOMS (in grey) for a few days now, they are also really comfy and amazingly go with a lot of different outfit choices. I'm so glad to see a company with such a positive mission doing so well!

I remember my first phone call with my assigned freshman roommate, Shannan. We talked about who would bring what, including a microwave, mini fridge, and other dorm room must haves. We were pretty basic... and when decorating, being the broke students that we were, we chose to cover our walls with movie posters that I had collected while working at a movie theater in highschool. Well it seems like today there are more budget friendly decorating options for students. But again, why let them have all the fun?! I love love LOVE this lamp from... wait for it... TARGET!
It also comes in black owl/white shade.

So I say, next time you are out and about shopping, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to something that is being marketed as "back to school"... Let's not let these students have all the fun!

1 comment: