Tuesday, February 15, 2011

self reflection and revelation is inspiring!

It was a tough weekend.

But as a result of making important and really hard decisions, I am left with such self reflection.
And I am surprised by it as well as being sort of inspired by it/me.

I am being forced to re-evaluate what is important to me.
And I am realizing more and more that what is important to me is being present and positive.

Sounds easy, right?
Well it's easy to make that decision, but for me being present is something I have struggled with for a long time.
What with my iPhone (with everything at my finger tips!), my eyes constantly behind my camera, email, facebook, blogs... man! It is hard to be present with all of that being as important as I let it be.

So my goal going forward is to let a bit of that go.
And on the flip side, get in touch with me and my surroundings more... go out in nature, maybe even without my camera (Gasp!), and sit and listen, breathe, and just BE.

I know me, and I know that all of the things above that contribute to my not being present are not going to magically go away. And I am not going to banish it from my life. But I am going to remove myself more and more from them.
Maybe I will leave my cell phone at home a workday or two.
Limit my email checking and facebook obsessing.
We all do it- blankly stare at the screen in front of us... And remove ourselves from the present, from our surroundings, and the endless possibilities that are around us.
And in exchange for these, I am going to focus on breathing, on a process of being more present.

And as a result of this, I think the positive will follow.
The positive will also come from making better choices for my health and head...
And going into the world with a positive attitude. Give what I want to receive.

I know none of these are new concepts. In fact, I have a few friends who inspire me with their ability to be present and positive.
And a while back one of my friends gave me a book, that I never gave myself the time to read, that is going to be a part of this process.

Anyways, I feel good about this.
And it is inspiring.
It won't be easy, and it will be a slow process. But even the thought of being more in touch with ME is exciting!

How about you?
How do you stay present?
And what does it mean to you?
I'd love to hear your thoughts as I start making these changes in my life.

2 comments:

  1. atta girl! this is inspiring...
    i could definitely use a dose of being more present..
    my husby helps me out with this one--he's all about anti-technology!

    you can do it!!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put, Sarah. It is so easy to become comfortable, complacent and totally ignore how important it is to be present. In fact, your post made me reflect on my own behaviors and attitudes that have been keeping me from being present with myself.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for inspiring me to do better as well!

    ReplyDelete