Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ginkgo Leaves

I am completely inspired by ginkgo leaves.
Maybe that's odd, but I just love their shape.
Somehow they are whimsical and just different from the rest.

A photo of a ginkgo branch in San Francisco, that I took earlier this year:


A fossil of a ginkgo leaf!
How cool is that?!!

According to Wikipedia's page on the ginkgo leaf:
The Ginkgo is a living fossil, with fossils recognisably related to modern Ginkgo date back 270 million years

WOWZA!


THIS beautiful necklace is from i like you as a friend Jewelry
Fortunately for me, my good friend Cristalle is the designer and maker of this pendant!
And I got one for my birthday.
And I <3 it so much!



I have LOVED these mobiles since the first time I saw them:
The mobile is made by Moon-Lily and sold for $236 by Hanging Mobile Gallery (and others).
I love it sooo much. And if it was half the price or if I was RICH, I'd think about getting it.
Until then, I will admire from afar!

I am a big fan of Queen Bee Creations
So much that I have several of their bags.
On a trip to Portland, OR last summer, I had to stop at their studio (all of their products are made in their Portland studio!) I knew that I should not get another bag so I made myself a deal:
I would only get a bag if they had one with a ginkgo leaf on it.
And guess what? 
They did:
The leaf is from a tree in SF....
But the bag was a sample from their studio and I love it!


More photos that I took of SF's ginkgo trees!

I have lots of dried ginkgo leaves...
big ones
and a bunch of tiny ones
Leaves from Berkley, SF, SLO, and Oregon!
Is that weird?
I think not.


Now I know that Ginkgo Trees apparently smell... badly.
But I have not had that experience yet.
So until then, ignorance is bliss!


Nature is an easy place to be inspired!

1 comment:

  1. In Japanese culture, they're a symbol of longevity and survival.
    There's a tree in front of my parents' house and I never noticed a smell.

    This girl in SF makes some pretty cool ginkgo jewelry http://www.mollymdesigns.com/botanicals/

    ReplyDelete